All I can say is wow!
I've only had it for a day, but am pretty impressed so far.
Right out of the box you can tell that this is a pro lens. It has the gold ring on the top and is built solid. It is primarily plastic, but has a nice weight to it. If you had the 105mm 2.8D as I did you will see that this lens is clearly heavier.
Some things I like about this lens already:
- The lens itself does not extend when focusing closer to the subject. All the elements are within.
- The autofocus is super silent and seems to be faster than on my other lens.
- The focusing wheel is large and is smooth to operate.
- I haven't tried shooting towards a light source yet to check the Nano crystal coating, but I'm hoping there will be a big improvement.
- It just feels solid and really well built.
- The connectors are all metal and it is weather sealed (haven't tested and hope I don't have to)
- It has VR! I'll need that at the wedding next weekend.
I plan on taking a lot of photos with this lens in the near future.
Overall I am very satisfied and if you are serious about macro photography