No this doesn't mean that I have gotten rid of all the mirrors in my house.
I have moved away from the traditional DSLR and have entered the Mirorrless realm. These are cameras that don't require a mirror or pentaprism for its viewfinder. This allows the camera to both be smaller and quieter as well.
Its interesting how technology advances and brings about new gear.
Mirrorless cameras are slowly bridging the gap as a replacement for the DSLR. Of course there are some things that it does differently and they do have their limitations, but every generation gets better and better. Its exciting to see where mirrorless technology will be even a year from now.
Fujifilm offers everything I want:
- Great image quality (equal or better to most Nikons I've used)
- Small form factor, lighter gear is better
- Knobs and dials (I have always enjoyed the old film cameras. In use and in looks.
- AUTO FOCUS - This is important for me because prior to Fuji most retro styled cameras were manual focus only
- A variety of high quality lenses, and more coming soon
- Exceptional build quality, cameras are mostly metal and all their XF lenses are metal as well
- Electronic viewfinder, so cool, who knew?
- A what you see is what you get, view from the viewfinder, makes it easier to see proper exposure
- Price (compared to similar in quality Nikon equipment it is significantly less expensive
- Firmware updates (its amazing that even their discontinued cameras are still receiving updates!)
I'm confident that I made the right decision in my switch. I spent countless hours doing research, following blogs, reading reviews and went hands on with my first purchase.
They are very different in their controls, menus, settings, and even in how they see the world. I knew that having some Nikon and some Fuji would get very confusing, so I made the decision to dive right in.
For the future:
This technology really keeps improving with every new model. I see myself upgrading my cameras every year or so. Fuji already has a great selection out there and it'll only continue to improve. The retro look and functionality should remain with mainly internal improvements.
Make note that for many genres of photography mirrorless cameras will slowly start to take over versus the larger DSLR options in the upcoming yr or so. The newly released XT1 is already making some big waves. And cameras like the x100 and the xpro1 are already legendary.
Mirrorless is the future and Fujifilm leads the way.
Note: All these photos were taken with a Fuji camera.
Silver X-E2 with the 18-55mm 2.8-4
Black X-E2 with the 35mm 1.4
This is the X-E2 with the new 56mm 1.2. This is the perfect portrait lens and will also work well when I need a little reach during weddings/receptions. Really excited to use this for this upcoming wedding season.
I also picked up the X-T1 which is the X-E2's big brother and so far am really enjoying it. It offers me a larger and quicker viewfinder, a better grip and is a tad more responsive. This is a record winning camera with tons of rave reviews in the photography world. It is a fabulous camera and one that I will truly enjoy using for many weddings to come.
So please don't be alarmed when you see me at your wedding with these retro styled cameras. Their image quality is stunning, they are discrete and work perfectly for my Candid Style of photography.
And of course, if you're into photography as well, feel free to ask me about them. I love talking about my Fujis!
WELCOME TO THE BLOG
Please use the search bar below to find what you're looking for or click on the category that interests you.
Thanks for visiting!